Pregnancy Massage can be hugely beneficial to expectant Mums. It’s common to view massage as an indulgent luxury when really the benefits are very real, helping to combat the particular aches, swelling and discomfort that pregnancy can bring.
Reduced Anxiety, Better Sleep, Improved Mood & Less Back Pain.
So what are the possible benefits of Pregnancy Massage?
- Massage therapy can address lower back pain, as well as leg, foot or hand discomfort.
- Massage can reduce oedema (the swelling that can occur during pregnancy) due to improvements in the circulation system.
- Massage can lessen stress on weight-bearing joints and muscles, to reduce neck and back pain caused by poor posture and strain on the uterine ligaments.
- Massage can reduce levels of anxiety as the due date approaches so in addition to dealing with aches and pains it can be an overall tonic.
- Specific massage techniques and specific oils and lotions can be used to aid the healing and reduce the appearance of incision related scar tissue.
- After the baby’s birth, massage therapy can gently facilitate the body’s return to its pre pregnancy state, alleviate pain, foster a renewed sense of body and self, and help maintain flexibility despite the physical stresses of the labour process and infant care.
Are there any risks with Pregnancy Massage?
There are no known risks associated with receiving correctly administered prenatal massage during any stage of your pregnancy. However, like most therapists we ask you to wait until you have had your 12 week scan before coming for your first session. If you have any doubts or concerns we would always suggest you discuss them with your healthcare professional first.